Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Liz Phair Wants to Be Advanced

According to her post "how to like it" on her site:
You were never supposed to hear these songs. These songs lost me my management, my record deal and a lot of nights of sleep.

Yes, I rapped one of them. Im as surprised as you are. But here is the thing you need to know about these songs and the ones coming next: These are all me. Love them, or hate them, but dont mistake them for anything other than an entirely personal, un-tethered-from-the-machine, free for all view of the world, refracted through my own crazy lens.

This is my journey. Ill keep sending you postcards. 
 She had me for a moment but then it occurred to me that it's a little bit too close to an apology or at least an attempt to distance herself from any criticism one might have. The Advanced don't say, "Hey, this is Advanced, so that's why it sounds strange." I also find her reference to her "own crazy lens" to be on the Overt side, as everyone Overt wants people to think they're weird. Still, I do like that she raps.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Hey, Jason. It's Kate.

Liz Phair breaks my heard enough to *feel* advanced: My soul hurts and my head becomes a hamster wheel, trying and failing and trying and failing to understand: What happened?

Then again, she was only overt for, what, 2? Maybe 2 1/2 albums? spaced just a few years apart--not 15. Not even ten.

Instead of granting her some special dispensation, I prefer to think she's possessed by aliens. Or that she was once was, and is no longer. Take your pick.