Friday, March 23, 2007

The 10 Greatest Rap Songs of All Time

On this day in 1981, "Rapture" became the first rap song to go number one. So I thought this would be a good time to share with you my list of the 10 greatest rap songs of all time . Of course "Rapture" makes the list at number 10, but let's see what are the other nine:
  • "Radio Song" by R.E.M. Baby, baby, baby this rap song is so good it's driving me crazy.
  • "Kool Thing" by Sonic Youth. Let everybody know: punk rockers make good rap artists, too.
  • "Roll the Bones" by Rush. Why are we here? To listen to some great Canadian rap.
  • "Cheeseburger in Paradise" by Jimmy Buffet. I like mine with lettuce, tomato, and rap.
  • "Wham! Rap" by Wham! The first use of "street cred." (Thanks to Very Little Known Facts)
  • "Funky Man" by Dee Dee King (aka Dee Dee Ramone) I told you punk rockers make good rap artists, too.
  • "Come With Me" by Puff Daddy featuring Jimmy Paige. A great blend of classic rock and old-school rap.
  • "I Used to Be an Animal (But I'm Alright Now) by Eric Burdon. Jimmy Page's Sweater Vest says this is the best rap song ever. But I say it's...
  • "Original Wrapper" by Lou Reed. This is the song that helped me fall in love with rap and remains the best rap song of all time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cast my vote for "Funky Man"

Philco Brothers said...

I always thought Radio Song was sort of a ripoff of Kool Thing and
I've never realized Cheesburger In Paradise was a rap song just as I never noticed Hotel California was a reggae song and did you know Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) was the first rap hit and Dickie Goodman (Energy Crisis, Mr.Jaws) invented sampling?

Advanced Genius Theory said...

I hate it when the comment is better than the post!

Anonymous said...

Rap Sucks Shit

Anonymous said...

"I Used To Be An Animal" is an insane track from an insane album. It's sheer genius though and I won't have a word said against it...

Anonymous said...

Is this the "best rap song with white race affiliations" list?

Anonymous said...

What? (c)rap is not a "black" invention you ignorant fucks. It does suck ass though, it is CRAP and not music. Talentless, worthless genre that needs to die out. Sick of that "hip hop flare" (as it's stupidly called) being added to things that it should not be, which is anything and everything. People who (c)rap are idiots and prey on corrupting children to get their money not to mention glorifying murder, robbery and being a stupid ass thug - which, by the way, is not a desireable thing in any shape or form. DIE (C)RAP DIE!

Anonymous said...

could've been funny, with some different jokes.

Anonymous said...

wheres common 2pac Notorious big at your stupid you dont know shit about rap