Thursday, January 05, 2006

Dion: I'm the Type of Guy That Likes to Make a Blues Record

From the New York Daily News:

In the half century rock 'n' roll has been rising up from the sidewalks of New York, no one has done more to shape its style - the exhilaration, the attitude - than Dion DiMucci of the Bronx. Now 66 years old, and still in fine voice, he has cut a record "that shows where, for me, it all came from." "Bronx in Blue" (Dimensional Music) may surprise fans who still associate Dion primarily with such doo-wop classics as "I Wonder Why," "A Teenager in Love," "Runaround Sue" or "The Wanderer."

Musically, the new album consists simply of Dion, his Martin guitar and a little percussion stomping through a dozen acoustic blues songs written or made famous by Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed and Hank Williams. "I was listening to blues before there was rock 'n' roll," he says. "To me, 'Teenager in Love' was the stretch, not this record."
---------
Dion's not really Advanced, but he looks it in the picture attached to this story. (I encourage you to click the link.)

No comments: