Friday, December 02, 2005

David Brent Podcast

From Slate:

...I already know what I'll be listening to on the bike next week. On Monday, Britain's Guardian newspaper will unveil a new weekly comedy program from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Yes, the guys behind the brilliant BBC TV series The Office and HBO's Extras. The two started on British radio, but now that they've decided to return to the medium, they're doing so in a podcast. The Guardian quotes Gervais on why he's going online rather than over-the-air: "I want to do a radio show where I can say what I want, when I want, for as long as I want and that's free for anybody who can be bothered to listen, anywhere in the world."

Would you say the creator of the immortal David Brent gets podcasting? Yeah, I'd say so. Of course, I haven't actually heard the new show yet, but it almost doesn't matter. Gervais and Merchant deserve a big audience based on their past work and on the theory that podcasting should embrace an anti-TV model—it should give talented and promising people time to work out the kinks and build an audience, rather than yanking them off the air after a few weeks.

The Guardian says this website will have the podcast beginning Monday, Dec. 5. [You have to go there on Monday to find out where to go, I think. -jh]]
-------------
That should be awesome. By the way, if you liked the original "The Office," it's Overt not to like the American version. In your heart, you know it's true.

No comments: