Friday, November 18, 2005

Huey Lewis on Broadway (Update)

From Yahoo!:

Huey Lewis has the look of someone who has found a new drug.

...What's got Lewis feeling this is his latest, seemingly unlikely endeavor: The coveted role of sleazy lawyer Billy Flynn in the multiple Tony Award-winning "Chicago: The Musical."

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd end up on Broadway," he says over coffee at Bond 45, a Times Square restaurant near the show's Ambassador Theatre home. "I never would have solicited it or even thought about it. I watched the movie 'Chicago' and really loved it, but never for the life of me thought, 'Oh, man, I could do that role.' Never, ever."

...Bernard Dotson, the show's dance captain who trained Lewis, says he's been impressed by his student's zeal to master the Bob Fosse material without a Bob Fosse background. "He's in it to win it," Dotson says. "He really wants to have a great time with it. He really respects the show a great deal and he sees how hard everyone else is working. He wants to be a part of it."

..."Musical theater is absolutely the jazz of show business. You have to sing, dance and act all at the same time. And it's live — there's no messing around. That's very appealing to me. Difficult, scary, but stimulating."
---------
Now, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Huey Lewis is Advanced (though "Sports" is a pretty Advanced album title), but I sure do like him. I've told this story before, but I saw him (Stevie Ray Vaughn opened) when I was 12, I think, and the show was pretty great. Even then I appreciated the fact that his band really knew what they were doing and were dedicated to giving us our money's worth. I'm not ashamed to say that I'd rather go see Huey Lewis than, say, Depeche Mode.

No comments: