Tuesday, November 08, 2005

"High School Reunion: A Tribute to Those Great 80s Films"

From billboard.com:

Originally planned for a September release, the compilation "High School Reunion: A Tribute to Those Great 80s Films" will now arrive Dec. 1 via American Laundromat and Face Down Records. As previously reported, the set features artists covering tracks that first appeared in such classics as "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "Pretty in Pink," "Say Anything" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

..."I think it came out good except for one line," Black tells Billboard.com of his contribution [Iggy Pop's "Repo Man," from "Repo Man"]. "I couldn't find an actual copy, so in the middle of a [Pixies] tour I got the lyrics on the Internet, which I in turn was correcting from memory [laughs]. There's one line where I couldn't remember how Iggy did the timing. It's like an extra line, so I just inserted it my own way, so it might sound dumb."

"My fiancée, Violet Clark, sings on it and some kid from Connecticut plays all the instruments," Black continues. "Our lighting guy, Miles, has a studio in Hartford so this was a kid who does work with him sometimes. I called him and said, 'Do it up! I'll be in to sing it in a couple of weeks!' It's like a keyboard/film soundtrack soundscape. We didn't do it like Iggy and Steve Jones."
----------
I was kind of disappointed when I read this article because the headline said, "Sweet covers Petty," and I had hoped that was the band Sweet, but it turns out that it is Matthew Sweet. Anyway, you can get the tracklist here. Could be fun.

No comments: