Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Speakerboxx Office

Here is some news about Outkast's movie, from nme.com:

Details of OUTKAST’S next project, a full-length feature film, have emerged. The Atlanta duo are currently working with their long-time video director Bryan Barber on the HBO-produced movie, which should be released mid-June.... "I had this idea in my mind for two years and wrote the film loosely based on my life and wrote their parts loosely based on some of our experiences together," Barber explained. "Basically, Dre and Big Boi have coinciding stories.

"Big Boi's in a love triangle and has to choose between his dream of being a businessman and his family. Dre's is more of a tragic love story. He falls in love with someone from out of town, which motivates him to follow his dream."

..."They mostly rap in it," explained Barber. "There are some new tracks and OutKast songs I think should have been released as singles."

Despite this the director insists the film will not be a modern rap flick, but will be set in the middle of last century. "It's not really a hip-hop movie at all, it just happens to have two major hip-hop stars in it," he explained. "It's more of a 1930s musical. I took some of the music from OutKast and set it in that time. That's one of the things I set out to do. I was trying to make a statement on how music from today could have been music from the 1930s."
--------
Sounds a bit like "Chicago" meets "Disorderlies." I like it.

No comments: