Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Awoo, Pete Yorn in London

According to billboard.com, Jackson Browne, Pete Yorn, Bob Dylan, the Pixies and others are recording Warren Zevon songs for an unpcoming tribute album called "Enjoy Every Sandwich: The Songs of Warren Zevon." First, that is an extremely advanced name for the album. Second, there has been some discussion at the Advancement Foundation about whether Mr. Zevon is advanced. I'm beginning to think he is. John Cale called him a master, the Pixies and Bob Dylan seem to like him, and he's had some good album titles, such as "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School," "Life'll Kill Ya," and
"Mr. Bad Example." Plus, he is loved by the critics, even though I really don't know that I've heard a song by him on the radio other than "Werewolves in London." (A side note: I once heard a DJ call him Warren "The Man" Zevon. I've never heard him called "The Man" in my life.)

Here's some more stuff I learned abou thim at allmusic.com:

He composed advertising jingles ealry in his career and played piano for the Everly Brothers. He made a concept record "inspired by science fiction's cyberpunk movement." David Letterman appeared on his album "My Ride's Here."

I think he must have been advanced, but I have to listen to more of his music. If anyone has anything to add to this discussion, I'd love to hear it.

No comments: